Friday, February 10, 2017

February 10, 2017




Phil Beaver works to establish opinion when the-indisputable-facts-of-reality have not been discovered. He seeks to refine his opinion by learning other people’s experiences and observations. The comment box below invites sharing facts, opinion, or concern. (I read, write, and listen to establish my opinion as I pursue the-objective-truth.)
Note:  I often connect words in a phrase with the dash in order to represent an idea. For example, frank-objectivity represents the idea of candidly expressing the-objective-truth without addressing possible error or attempting to balance the expression.

The Advocate:

Our Views. If Erwin really made the reported statements, retirement seems insufficient. We’ll witness what transpires.
 
Beyond that, I can’t imagine what The Advocate expects. An argument at a restaurant became a public disturbance requiring first responders for law enforcement. One party to the argument accused a bystander, who happens to be a judge, of un-civic conduct. There are no witnesses to the accusation. It’s the accuser’s word against the judge’s word.

Does The Advocate want the judge to speak the obvious? I don’t think so: we already know how easy it is to accuse someone.

How would The Advocate respond to the immediate question: “When did you stop lying to readers?” Shame on my hometown newspaper.

To Charles Foster Kane:  I pay the full subscription price for my hometown daily and call them when I have a suggestion and have for five decades. I write what I think and consider it a civic duty. I am glad my writing inspires you to write.
 
Today’s Thought. Breaking the convention: “Jesus” for “God.” It seems Dean uses Bible verses however he chooses. Makes me wonder: with Dean at helm, what’s in control?
 
Mark (14:24), Matthew (26:28, John (6:56), and Paul (e.g., Ephesians 1:7) write about the power of Jesus’s blood. 
 
However, focus on mysterious sanction can distract the reader from the suggestion that he or she has the power to perfect his or her human person. Matthew (5:48) suggests it: “Be perfect,” and John expounds on it respecting mutual appreciation (1 John 4:18). However, discouraging the quest for personal perfection Dean may add more mystery.
 
I perceived these ideas on my own but felt alone in my world until I read Ralph Waldo Emerson’s “Divinity School Address,” 1838, online at emersoncentral.com/divaddr.htm . I would not rob anyone of the joy that pours forth in Emerson’s towering poetry in prose. However, to help readers past the two decades it took me to grasp Emerson’s suggestion, “Phil you were born human, and that means you may perfect your person if you try.” For this purpose, focus on the paragraphs surrounding the one that starts, “Jesus Christ belonged to . . .”  
 
My obsession with mutual-appreciation rather than love comes from my couple decades reading Agathon’s speech in Plato’s “Symposium.”  
 
Pipeline (Lucero). I want the pipeline to help MWW feel more comfortable on I-10 and I-12 due to less 18-wheeler traffic. 
 
However, readers are not impressed with short letters like this. People who have data should publish the data that represent the-indisputable-facts-of-reality should publish the-objective-truth rather than qualified opinion.

War (Hummert). Globalization draws a nation into protection of citizens wherever they are. It’s sometimes difficult to distinguish protection of people from war. “Speak softly but carry a big stick,” does not work when red lines blow away with the sand.

Rich Lowry column. It seems to me, Trump is proven correct. The panel of judges so poorly execute their duties that they allow their opportunity to rebuke Trump cloud their reading of the law. We’ll see how it plays out. I still think in all disputes Trump boldly confronts mendacity and the only way to negotiate with Trump is with integrity to the-objective-truth.
  
A.P. Tureaud Jr. column. As you describe it, this seems like a vestige of Jim-Crow law. If so, I hope justice is served, perhaps by district voting. Please keep us informed. I had hoped I’d see the utility of the NAACP dissolve before my passing, but this case makes me wonder.

Clarence Page column. I understand ignorance and embarrassment upon my exposure. I was in my seventh decade when a great friend reduced my ignorance on use of “denigrate.” 
 
I doubt Page has no experience with the dilemma. It’s like pleading the 5th amendment: I am grateful you informed me but will not agree to my ignorance.
 
I hope before my passing black history month melds with American history.

Michael Barone column. I appreciate Barone’s seemingly singular ability to think about Trump’s motives then write. Back in the day, some of my neighbors said “Buy American cars,” while Japanese autos were more reliable for less capital and lower operating cost. Japan had utilized American technology for quality improvement. Detroit demanded operating the way they always did rather than competing using American technology. Trump wants to cure that illness. It won’t be easy, but it can be achieved.

Jury provision (Page 2B). I served on a damage suit. The plaintiff had no case and was seeking damages after negligent behavior. A jury member had one principle: Big oil will pay, so grant the money. Thank goodness the rest of us did not have to either yield or witness a mistrial. The jury efficiently reached justice, and the dissident jurist was known only to the jury. The constitution for the Great State of Louisiana strives for justice.

Police panel (Page 1B). Gov. Edwards needs to pay attention to public safety in the State of Louisiana.

Judges (Page 1A). The judicial system is out of control and has been. We are witnessing the people’s attraction to Trump’s popular campaign promise: I will return the USA to constitutional government. Just consider the hypocrisy of Greece v Galloway: Legislative prayer is for legislators and therefore none of the people’s business. The citizen who is bothered by ceremonial prayer is niggling. Now they say Trump’s concern for Security has a religious origin.

Brown (Page 1A). With community policing there might be more consideration for Brown’s culture.

Tribe (Page 3A). It is important to uphold the-indisputable-facts-of-reality rather than passionate opinion.

Deportation (Page 3A). It is important to uphold the-indisputable-facts-of-reality rather than passionate opinion.

Lawmakers brawl (Page 5A). Is liberal democracy coming to the USA? Will an address by President Trump be ridiculed by the Democrats and GOP grandstanders?

Foreign students (Page 6A). Students are smart about their opinions and demonstrate without either gratitude for their opportunities or knowing government protections of those opportunities. Preventing travel to the USA until protective vetting is in place does not necessarily affect normal travel.

Gorsuch (Page 9A). Gorsuch represents the Democratic Party’s opportunity to show citizens that they have the USA’s best interests at heart: accelerate the Gorsuch confirmation.

Conway (Page 9A). With more behavior like that I hope “Ya fiyad,” is in her future.

McCain (Page 9A). This grandstander passes up every opportunity to express integrity, IMO. I voted for him for President, and would not have regretted my vote. However, I regret his refusal to give my president a chance. I still give Barack Obama every credit I can.

Pa state senator (Page 10A). Politicians could learn from the NFL. There, taunting gets a 15 yard penalty.

N.C. wind farm (Page 10A). It is amazing that this project overcame the environmentalists. I guess when you oppose “big oil” anything goes. (Sorry to be so cheap-shotty, but sometimes I am.)

Phil Beaver does not “know”. Phil trusts and is committed to the-objective-truth of which most is undiscovered and some is understood. Phil Beaver is agent for A Civic People of the United States, a Louisiana, an education non-profit. See online at promotethepreamble.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment